CAD/Design/Drafting (CDD) Competition
The CAD/Design/Drafting (CDD) Competition is a contest designed to provide recognition to high school students for creative design, successful problem solving and craftsmanship in preparing architectural drawings. Objectives of the contest are to introduce the student to the construction industry in a positive and challenging manner, while fostering a sense of self-worth and building confidence. Entries are evaluated for detail, accuracy and originality of work. Local winners move on to regional and national competition with prizes awarded at each level.
The 2015-2016 NAWIC CAD/DRAFTING COMPETITION required students to design a small 7,500 sq. ft. grocery store. The local competition was held on March 17th at the Associated Builders & Contractors office in Poway. Judges from all phases of the construction industry reviewed and scored completed drawings submitted by 23 students from San Diego County High Schools. Many thanks to the following judges who donated their time to review, score and critique the drawings:
- Martin Flores, Rick Engineering Company
- Russ Onufer, UCSD
- Kenton Ahrentzen, Harper Construction Company, Inc.
- Patty Sprotte, Sprotte Watson Architects
- Dion Richard, Sprotte Watson Architects
- Jill Gravely, Hale Engineering
- Rhonda Mitchell, UCSD
Winners were as follows:
- First Place – Sherwin Labadan – Morse High School – $500 prize
- Second Place – Lhymwell Manalo – Morse High School – $300.00 prize
- Third Place – Luke Lawver – San Dieguito Academy – $150.00 prize
Winners, their guests and teachers were invited to attend the San Diego NAWIC Anniversary/Awards Dinner in April where they were recognized and presented with their prize money and award.